Sunday, January 29, 2006

Relationships

I've got sad news. It's been confirmed that one of my favorite couples have broken up. I'm not one to say that I know them so well, haven't even seen them in person-- together at least. However, for some reason, they are the sort of 'stranger-friends' who are quite special to me. I've known them these past couple of years and theirs was a relationship that i admired. From my standpoint at least, since i don't know everything that goes on between them. Little did i know that they've been having problems big enought to actually lead to such severance of ties.

For some reason, this has affirmed my fears about the fact that sometimes, you really don't know whom to entrust your heart to. How will you know? At this stage, it gets more difficult, because once you entrust your heart, it's pretty much like entrusting your whole life already. It's a scary reality. While others are quite lucky to easily find their true partners, it can be a scary, tiring and risky process for some of us.
Fortunately, inspite of having my fears fullfilled a number of times which led me to continue to be 'afraid', I don't think I've been really left jaded by it all. I'm as cautious as ever, but I do still believe in giving myself, and others, a chance. I can just really leave the rest in God's hands.
This morning, it's amazing what I encountered as I was reading one of my sources of spiritual nourishment (Embraced by Bo Sanchez). Because it affirmed my natural tendency to still be open to new relationships (okay, i'm pertaining to romantic relationships, because I really don't have much problems with friendly ones).
Anyway, this particular topic struck me. It's entitled: THE SIN OF SELF PROTECTION with a verse from Genesis 2:18 which states "it is not good for man to be alone" .
Let me just share the part for meditation. It says:
'Some hide, distance and move away from most relationships. They do so because they want to protect themselves from more pain. But when they barricade themselves, they will never experience total trust and total deseration for the love of God. They need ti to leard how to rely on the Divine love to heal their future wounds.
'By throwing themselves into relationships, by being honest and vulnerable, by giving their real selves to another -- they are also trusting that God will love them perfectly in the midst of a sea of imperfect human love, to satisfy them in a way no one else can.'

Although it may take time, I hope my friend will also not be too jaded by what has happened.

No comments: